Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Closing Chapter

This week has certainly been a break from my routine schedule... read Straits Times and Business Times in the morning, read books and play games in the afternoon, watch tv in the evening and chat at night. I finally bought my new pair of shoes (replacing my new balance) to sever all my ties with the army... : ) did my first tutoring at Boys Town which was a fun experience and went for my second round of interviews in SMU. (which really isn't an interview because it is a full day of activities planned by the second year scholars of SMU)

I just received a call from SMU saying that I wasn't shortlisted for the third and final round of interviews with the CEOs and big shots. Actually, I was somewhat disappointed but not defeated. Afterall, I feel I did well during the interview and I have also finally regained a part of me that has been lost for so long. Basically during the interview, my group had 2 parts of a project to fulfil... to make a device and act out a skit that uses materials from selected novels to re-enact certain issues in Singapore. I did the second part of the project which is the skit. We chose to re-enact the NKF saga with TT... as Dracula sucking money off the patient (for those who know the Dracula novel, the patient represents Mina). Eventually, the patient's boyfriend found out about TT...'s atrocity and staked him with a rolled up newspaper before realising that modern day Draculas aren't afraid of stakes anymore. And so he opened up the newspaper and used the NKF report on the newspaper to scare the daylights out of TT... until he turns to dust. I was more involved in generating the ideas for the play and the supporting roles and maybe directing the play... (I used the word "maybe" because it seems most of my group members are pleased with me directing except for one) In short, I'm the backstage guy. Interestingly, I really was not myself on that day. I came up with plenty of crap ideas like getting a guy to act as the sickly girly female patient and a girl as the macho boyfriend. (reversal of sexual roles) Not to forget Dracula (acted out by another girl) literally sucking off dollar notes from the guy's body who acted as the patient and the staking of Dracula with the newspaper only to find out Dracula is more afraid of the newspaper report than the stake. I also helped to direct certain scenes to make them more comical...

Anyway, there was this gal who was really quite bossy thoughout the whole project. (I think she also did not have a good impression of me) Initially when this guy, Peter, switched to our group from the device-making group, she sort of snobbed him and quite rudely swept the piece of paper with the instructions to him when he asked for it. She also often interrupted others when they were talking and had a very queer tendency to keep on thinking that she always had the final say (eg. I think that this is the best solution so WE will just stick to this idea... and the next scene...) At one point in time, I couldn't stand it anymore because all the other group members were visibly opposed to her ideas while she kept rattling on and on that I stopped her in her tracks and told her bluntly the group doesn't agree with her. Well... I must admit I never expected myself to do something like this when my initial intention during the interview is just to get it over and done with asap.

Maybe I didn't get selected because I was more of a-behind-the-scenes person during the project. But it really doesn't matter. I went there with a feeling of dreadfulness and a purpose to just get out asap. However, I left with some new friends whom I really got along well with and some happy memories too. I also realised that while sometimes I used to think of myself as an over-reliant burden on others in the past, I am also capable of taking up the role of leadership and helping my team members solve problems using my own beliefs and strengths. After losing out this chance to getting a scholarship, I also realise that I have many other plans waiting for me to work on. For example, I have yet to find a mentor to coach me on investing and I am also seriously considering joining the Young Entrepreneurs Society to learn the ropes of business. All in all, the scholarship is only a fantastic monetary platform for me to work on my dreams. However, I also have other ways of getting the financial support I need and most importantly, I'm seriously thinking of my next steps to achieving my dreams. : )

P.S: For those who wish to try the scholarship interviews in SMU, the scholarships offered are the prestigious LKC and SMU scholarship and there are 4 rounds altogther (1 for admissions, 3 for interview) whereby you will be involved in group interviews, group debates and project work. So it is most important to be mentally charged for these rounds of exhausting and hopefully fulfilling interviews. : ) Best of luck!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home